Friday, April 21, 2006

Buying new albums

I remember buying cassettes and a few albums of new releases back in the 80's. Sometimes it was a really big deal especially if you knew what you wanted before hand. I can remember buying Iron Maiden's Live after death back in 1985 and really looking forward to it and being excited about it. Back in the fall of 2003 I bought Iron Maiden's Dance of death the day it came out. It was a good album, but going to the record store on the first day wasn't as exciting for me in 2003 as it was in 1985.

My question for you is do you look forward to buying new albums as much as you did years ago? Or has the fact that you have bought so many albums made it less of a big deal? Or is it just an age thing?

6 Comments:

Blogger Metal Mark said...

Just to add to this, I also remember going to get Iron Maiden's Fear of the dark on the day it came out in 1992. By this time it wasn't as a big a deal for the record store as it was in 1985 due to the decline of metal. Yet is was just as big a deal for me as it was in 1985.

6:11 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

I used to really look forward to new albums when I was in my teens and early 20's. I also used to watch Headbangers Ball all the time, so I knew hat was coming. There's only one radio station where I live that plays newer hard rock, and it's not all the time so I don't hear much about it unless I investigate it myself. Eddie Trunk does have a show on Friday nights, but I'm not usually just sitting and listening to the radio from 11pm to 2am.

7:26 AM  
Blogger UnHoly Diver said...

I'm in the same boat as Mike; we have one rock station in my area, so I get all of my new music news from listening to stations online and band websites. Case in point... said rock station rarely, if ever, plays any Disturbed, and as a result, I didn't know that 10,000 Fists existed till three months ago.
Anyway, to answer your question, no, I don't get that excited about buying new cds.

9:46 AM  
Blogger :P fuzzbox said...

When a new cd by a good band comes out, I am just as stoked as when I was 16. And I am far from being 16.

11:35 AM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

Fluffy-It has been a long time since I have bought more than one new cd at a time.

Mike-Idon't think I am as excited about new albums as I was years ago.

Bruce- I almost never listen to the radio anymore.

Fuzz- There are albums I get excited about, but I rarely feel that I have to have them the day they come out anymore.

V and D- I like my local record store, but the bargain bin is the main thing that keeps me coming in.

2:07 PM  
Blogger Strutter71 said...

I think it may be an age thing. I rarely even buy CDs any more.

7:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home