Tuesday, May 02, 2006

My Top Twenty favorite Iron Maiden songs

I listened to a bunch of their albums and narrowed down my choices to twenty and then I ranked them. There is only one post-80's song that made the list although there were others from Fear of the dark, Brave new world and Dance of death that I considered. So here is the countdown.

20)The Clairvoyant(Seventh son)-This song grew on me.
19)Afraid to shoot strangers(Fear of the dark)-I remember listening to this a lot back in 92.
18)Ghengis Khan(Killers)-Yes, it is an instrumental but it shows Maiden's musical growth at the time.
17)Flash of the blade(Powerslave)-A very smooth song.
16)Loneliness of the long distance runner(Somewhere in time)-As an avid runner I have a bias towards this track.
15)Running Free(s/t)-Very good Dianno song.
14)To tame a land(Piece of mind)-Underrated song.
13)Wrathchild(Killers)-Another song that worked well with Dianno.
12)Caught somewhere in time(Somewhere in time)-Very good song for Bruce's vocals.
11)The evil that men do(Seventh son)-Just very memorable.
10)Revelations(Piece of mind)-One of the first songs I ever heard by Maiden.
9)Run to the hills(The number of the beast)-Never gets old no matter how many times I hear it.
8)Aces High(Powerslave)-Fantastic opening track.
7)The Prisoner(The number of the beast)-Not a typical Maiden song, but one that I have always liked.
6)Killers(same title)-I love that riff.
5)Where eagles dare(Piece of mind)-Very interesting song that always gets my attention.
4)Hallowed be thy name (The number of the beast)-Kind of a haunting, well written song.
3)Phantom of the opera(s/t)-Love that kind of winding sounding riff. This might be the one song on the debut that shows the direction the band would head in.
2)Rhyme of the ancient mariner(Powerslave)-Quantity and quality.
1)The Number of the beast(same title)-I have always loved that riff and the whole feel of the song. I remember being 14 and laying on my bed listening to this and just being amazed.

What are some of your favorites?

6 Comments:

Blogger :P fuzzbox said...

Run to the hills has to be my favorite tune. It is just spot on. Lyrically and musically.

8:37 PM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

Sgt.-Tailgunner is probably my favorite song on No prayer. It's a shame the rest of the album wasn't that good.

8:12 AM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

Fred-Strange World is a very different song for Maiden, but cool. There is a Dianno song on one of the b sides of one the singles (Running Free I think) called Burning Ambtion and it is great. I have the re-release on lp.
Gangland off of Number of the beast is another good, but overlooked song.

9:47 AM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

Fred-I think there was a Nodding Donkey blues as well.

12:21 PM  
Blogger David Amulet said...

Great list. I'd have to move "Run to the Hills" up a bit, and I'd replace one of your lower ones with "Invaders." I'm also a big fan of "Powerslave" and might have that near the top of my list, too.

-- david

4:20 AM  
Blogger T-_Bone said...

The Prisoner
Paschendale
The Number Of The Beast
Drifter
Powerslave
Fear Of The Dark
Face In The Sand
Phantom Of The Opera
Hallowed Be Thy Name
Journeyman
Murders In The Rue Morgue
Judas Be My Guide
22 Acacia Avenue
Killers
Stranger In A Strange Land
The Clansman
Sanctuary
Rainmaker
The Thin Line Between Love & Hate
Still Life
The Wicker Man
The Loneliness Of The Long Distance Runner
Aces High
Prowler
Wasted Years
Total Eclipse
Dance Of Death
The Evil That Men Do
Die With Your Boots On
Rime Of The Ancient Mariner
Infinite Dreams
The Educated Fool
Back In The Village
Chains of Misery
Caught Somewhere In Time
Where Eagles Dare
Purgatory
New Frontier
To Tame A Land
Wildest Dreams
The Clairvoyant
Invaders
No More Lies
Strange World
Heaven Can Wait
Run To The Hills
Prodigal Son
Children Of The Damned
Sign Of The Cross
The Duellists
Innocent Exile
Charlotte The Harlot
Wrathchild
Moonchild
Ghengis Khan
Montesgur
Transylvania
Another Life
Holy Smoke
The Trooper
Revelations
The Ides Of March
Como Estais Amigos
Brave New World
Can I Play With Madness
Alexander The Great
2 Minutes To Midnight
Futureal
Sea Of Madness
Gangland
Deja Vu
Losfer Words
Age Of Innocence
Flight of Icarus
The Nomad
Tailgunner
Ghost Of The Navigator
Fear Is The Key
The Edge Of Darkness
Out Of The Silent Planet
Run Silent Run Deep
Gates Of Tomorrow
Only The Good Die Young
The Fallen Angel
Blood On The World's Hands
Lord Of The Flies
Man On The Edge
Afraid To Shoot Strangers
Blood Brothers
Fates Warning
Running Free
Judgement Of Heaven
Hooks In You
Look For The Truth
Be Quick Or Be Dead
Iron Maiden
Public Enema Number One
The Mercenary
The Unbeliever
Fortunes Of War
Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son
2 A.M.
Twilight Zone
The Assassin
Flash Of The Blade
The Aftermath
From Here To Eternity
Bring Your Daughter .... To The Slaughter
Weekend Warrior
When Two Worlds Collide
Sun And Steel
Don't Look To The Eyes Of A Stranger
The Apparition
Quest For Fire
The Angel and the Gambler
The Prophecy
Remember Tomorrow
Childhood's End
The Fugitive
Mother Russia
Lightning Strikes Twice
No Prayer For The Dying
Wasting Love
Dream Of Mirrors

8:24 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home