Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Good and bad in metal in 1986

Overall 1986 was a very good year for metal. Once a month I write a twenty year old album review and in December I will do my top twenty albums of 1986. Today I decided to list five good and five bad things that happened in metal during the year. I tried to refrain from just listing an album as being good or bad and concentrate on other things. Here they are, feel free to add your own.

The Bad
-Death of former Thin Lizzy singer/bass player/founder Phil Lynott. A great player who was just getting started on life after Thin Lizzy.
-Death of Metallica bass player Cliff Burton. He was a real talent who died way too young.
-Warner Brothers and Tony Iommi decide to release The Seventh Star album under the Black Sabbath name despite the fact that it is really a Tony Iommi solo project.
-Vivian Campbell leaves Dio. Life would go on for Dio and Campbell would have success with Whitesnake and Def Leppard, but he was my favorite Dio guitarist.
-Mark Free leaves King Kobra. I am probably the only one that cared about this, but he was a very good singer with this band.

The Good
+Ozzy and Sharon Osbourne give Metallica the opening slot on their tour. A huge boost for both bands.
+Motorhead come back with their first studio lp in three years. Metal needed Motorhead.
+Alice Cooper puts on the make-up again and goes heavy metal after numerous years of playing pop. His album is just okay, but his tour is huge and a new generation of hard rock fans embrace Alice.
+Def Leppard make a comeback of sorts by playing at the Monsters of rock festival.
+David Lee Roth wastes no time assembling a super group of sorts and releasing an album just a year after breaking up with Van Halen.


***Wednesday is my blogaversary so be there or be uh, read about it in the archives.***



4 Comments:

Blogger David Amulet said...

Nice recap of the year. And in case I don't check in tomorrow, happy anniversary!

-- david

5:51 AM  
Blogger Volkher Hofmann said...

Phil Lynott, Motorhead and Diamond Dave.

I was and am a fan of all three, through thick and thin.

Phil Lynott was my hero for many years, sans the drug addiction. A no-nonsense rocker with a no-nonsense attitude and a band that always put on a plain but extremely powerful live set, every single time. I never missed a tour. The best Europe had to offer.

Motorhead is the epitome of a working-class band that just did their thing no matter who said what when. I like that attitude. One of the concerts in the UK (Hammersmith) was one of the best and most honest I have ever seen. Rock 'til you drop.

Diamond Dave might be completely nuts and certainly has a breathtakingly awful taste when it comes to clothes, but he always kept the fun in rock music. Many of my favourite tunes today are still Roth with or without Van Halen and the guy can still pack a punch ... if people would let him or would attend his concerts.

If it weren't for those Van Hagar creeps, ...

6:52 AM  
Blogger The Phoenix said...

Happy anniversary. Keep rockin'.

11:16 AM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

David-Thanks. Some years I don't remember as well, but that year is still pretty strong in my memory.

Volkher-I agree about all three of those guys. New Motorhead is due out towards the end of summer.

Phoenix-Thanks. I hope something sort of special posted tomorrow, but I have no idea what it will be.

11:28 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home