Sunday, August 27, 2006

Ten things I think (or thought) about metal in 1986

1)I think that 5150 is not really a Van Halen album no matter what the album cover says.
2)I think that Ratt's stock was sinking because they were not taking chances even though they were still doing good albums.
3)Back then I thought that Metallica would put out many more albums just as good as Master of Puppets (I was wrong).
4)I think that Judas Priest's Turbo was a complete misfire despite being a commercial success.
5)I think that Ozzy Osbourne and permed hair didn't mix.
6)I think that King Diamond and his band never got their due as musicians due to the satanic image that he was associated with.
7)I think that Alice Cooper going metal was a good thing for him, fans and the metal scene.
8)I think that Slayer didn't fully understand the impact that Reign in blood would have on the metal scene.
9)I think that Iron Maiden's Somewhere in time was a bit of a gamble, but it paid off.
10)I think that a lot of people must have been tone deaf to have bought that Stryper album or perhaps the yellow and black outfits hypnotized people into buying the album.

7 Comments:

Blogger David Amulet said...

Good observations, all. I actually loved 5150 when it came out, but I knew even then that it wasn't the same Van Halen. We all called it Van Hagar, and we shoudl have stuck with that.

david

8:46 AM  
Blogger Jeff said...

It's a shame Metallica was never able to create something as class as say "Ride the Lightning" or "Master of Puppets". Although many Metallica fans would disagree I think the Black album is a fantastic CD.

9:08 AM  
Blogger David Amulet said...

I think that the Black Album is the most unfairly attacked album in history. I will admit -- and argue along with folks who say -- that it is not as good as Metallica is capable of. I like listening to Lightning and Puppets much more.

BUT, if it were not Metallica, most hard rock fans would LOVE this album. It had songs like "Holier Than Thou" and "Through the Never," which hard rock fans should be amazed that miliions upon millions of people bought. And don't forget that this album exposed millions and millions to Metallica, spawning interest in the band's earlier (and better) music for those who somehow hadn't heard Metallica.

I don't listen to the Black Album much. But I'm glad it kept interest in metal alive at a time when a lot of labels might have dropped hard rock acts becuase they "can't sell."

--david

1:18 PM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

I rarely listen to the black album anymore. And justice for all was actually the first Metallica album that I had problems with. I thought it was dull, had poor production and very little edge to it. The black album was better written than Justice, but far less metal. I think the black album is good, but not great. Then again I like the Load albums even though others don't. I think it was the right mix of heaviness and rock hooks. Nothing this band did after Puppets is close to the level of those first three albums though.

1:58 PM  
Blogger :P fuzzbox said...

The only rocker who looked worse with big hair than Ozzy was Gene Simmons.

6:53 PM  
Blogger T-_Bone said...

You know, I think I agree with all of those, except maybe #1.

10:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great year '86 was. Two gigs spring to mind, Motley Crue/Cheap Trick in Cardiff, Wales then Metallica/Anthrax at the same venue 6 months later!

On the subject of the Black album, it's a great album simple as that, though 'Ride' was the killer release.

3:51 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home