Monday, October 16, 2006

13 albums to listen to for Halloween

Here are some sort of scary type albums to listen to for the holiday. They are in no particular order.

1-Black Sabbath-s/t
Never gets old and it's creepy at times.

2-Grim Reaper-Fear no evil
I have to be in a mood for this band, but this is the time of year for them.

3-WASP-s/t
It may seem tame now, but this always seemed like a scary type album to me back in the 80's.

4-Electric Wizard-We live

Big, heavy slow sludge and they even used sound clips from the great film Psychomania.

5-Alice Cooper-Welcome to my Nightmare
It has Vincent Price, songs about the dead and more.

6-Lizzy Borden- Love you to pieces
Sort of horror type songs here and there plus it's a pretty good cross between glam and more traditional metal.

7-Mercyful Fate-Don't break the oath
Very eerie atmospheric album

8-King Diamond-Abigail
Like many King Diamond albums, it's a concept album and a horror story of sorts.

9-Slayer-Show no mercy
I love the debut more than most people as I think was very straight forward.

10-White Zombie-La Sexorcisto Devil Music volume 1
It's a bit goofy, but heavy enough and lots of horror movie influences.

11-Candlemass-Epicus Domicus Metallicus
Slow, heavy and very unsettling, but in a good way.

12-Iron Maiden-The number of the beast

Aside from being one of the best metal albums of all time, it also has some horror based songs.

13-Ozzy-Diary of a madman
I remember sitting in my basement as a teenager listening to this over and over.
***This album will get a proper review next week.

9 Comments:

Blogger David Amulet said...

Good list. I'll add Godsmack's first CD, an excellent Halloween mood CD overall!

-- david

3:44 AM  
Blogger David Amulet said...

I also have a question for you and the other readers: can you think of any metal (or just palin rock) artists who were classically trained?

-- david

3:47 AM  
Blogger On My Watch said...

Great list. I love the White Zombie one, I think the 50s sci-fi stuff in there is cool. David, all I can think of off the top of my head is Geoff Tate (his aunt was an opera singer and tried to get him to go in that direction).

5:10 AM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

David-I really don't know of anyone who was classically trained. I may have read of someone at one time, but it's just not something that I have remembered.

11:28 AM  
Blogger David Amulet said...

Great ones, Ben. I had forgetten also about Eddie Van Halen and some of the guys who played for Yes.

-- david

4:26 AM  
Blogger :P fuzzbox said...

Love the White Zombie nod. It is a killer album.

BTW, David, One that I can think of is Randy Rhodes.

12:56 PM  
Blogger bob_vinyl said...

Where's Walk Among Us?!?!?

9:29 PM  
Blogger Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

awesome list...but Fantomas' last record before the latest one is the scariest metal I've heard in ages

10:09 PM  
Blogger bob_vinyl said...

Ray, is that Director's Cut? If so, I agree. I couldn't even listen to the whole thing. It was freaky.

11:01 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home