Friday, June 08, 2007

Sea Hags-s/t, 1989

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
San Francisco's Sea Hags only recorded one album, but have a little bit of a cult following. I used to have this on cassette, but it got eaten by a hungry and cheap tape deck. I was slightly excited when I heard that it was getting re-released on CD this year. However then I found out it was going to be on an import label and sure enough it's going for over $20 so I won't be buying it. However I did get to hear it again recently. This band tends to be known more for their connections and drug problems than for the music that's here. Kirk Hammett produced their demo and G-n-R producer Mike Clink produced this album. Reportedly their drug addictions caused a delay for this album and the tour. Bass player Chris Schlosshardt died of a heroin overdose in 1991 ending the band. The music here is normally labeled as sleaze glam and that's probably right. It's basic hard rock not completely removed from early Faster Pussycat with maybe touches of blues rock tossed in. There are a few parts where they sound like AC/DC and even some bits that remind me of 80's ZZ top. I love the vocals here as they are gritty and nothing is held back. The music although straight forward sometimes lacks enough punch and twists to really make it interesting. They normally start well, but were not able to sustain the energy for every song. It also seemed like the stronger tracks were towards the beginning of the album. They certainly were not an "A" list glam band like Skid Row or Faster Pussycat. It comes across as being good with some definite potential. Potential that unfortunately never got a chance to grow or at least as a group. There are some sparks here, but I wouldn't recommend spending $20+ bucks on the CD unless you have already heard it and know you love it. I love the band name though.

9 Comments:

Blogger Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

The last time I spent $20 on a CD, it was because there was two albums for one: Annihilator's Alice in Hell and Never Neverland. I see all sorts of metal albums of the past I want, but not for $20, often not even for $17. I remember the Sea Hags having controversy; I think they had a video back then, but can't recall. I too love that name.

3:43 AM  
Blogger David Amulet said...

Only heard this once, and it wasn't bad. I like the cover--unique.

-- david

3:50 AM  
Blogger bob_vinyl said...

I think the thing that made this album special is that it stuck to what it knew rather than trying to jump on the hait metal-lite bandwagon of the late 80s. Musically, it's good, not great, but I find them to be somewhat believable, like there's real people playing the music, not corporate stooges.

4:48 AM  
Blogger Hard Rock Hideout said...

Mark,
Check out CD Inzane for this disc.

It is $17.95 plus shipping.

It looks like it is slated for a July release now with 3 additional unreleased tracks.

I have been thinking about adding this one to my haul.

Rob Rockitt
Hard Rock Hideout
www.hardrockhideout.com

11:17 AM  
Blogger captain corky said...

Never heard of them, but the album cover isn't bad.

11:42 AM  
Blogger The Lone Beader® said...

That is a hilarious name for a band. LOL!

1:02 PM  
Blogger Allyson said...

Yep, I like the Sea Hags. I've mentioned them from time to time...you can find videos on youtube.

Allyson
www.bringbackglam.com

1:11 PM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

Ray-I don't pay $20 very often, actually I don't go over $14 that much.

David-It might be a grower.

Bob-They formed in 1985 and came from SF rather than LA so that may have set them apart from the more generic bands of the day.

HRH-Thanks, but someone copied it onto cd for me. It's not the new version with bonus tracks, but it's good enough for me.

Captain Corky- I agree, it's different.

Lone Beader-I definitely like it.

Allyson-They are decent, it's a shame they couldn't stay clean enough to do another album.

9:14 AM  
Blogger SirCaustic said...

I remember buying this one when it came out. Some pretty bass work on it and a couple of the tunes were very good. Unfortunately, they self-destructed... how very rock n roll of them. Anyway, I would sure like to actually get a hold of a copy of this one. I don't particularly need the reissue, just wanna hear Miss Fortunate one more time. Have a happy folks.

11:42 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home