Monday, November 26, 2007

Rat Skates-Born in the basement

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
2007
Kundrat productions

As fans we often see the end results and we don’t really think about the amount of work that goes into something. That thought kind of applies to this documentary and the stories within. Rat Skates was the original drummer for Over Kill and this is his story. He talks about his days in a punk rock band the Lubric*nts and how they became Over Kill. Once Over Kill formed he goes into talking about the sound of the band as well as detailing parts of promotion that I never thought about. They didn’t have much money, but wanted their band to look professional and to promote their band. He created the band’s logo, screen printed t-shirts, made homemade stickers and more all for the sake of getting the band’s name out there for people to see. They were an unsigned band that wanted their stage show to look good. Rat discusses the importance of the milk crate, yes the milk crate because it apparently it served many purposes including many of them being used as his first drum riser. The whole “do it yourself” approach was a big part of what he had to do get the band and their show noticed. Using what skills, tools and supplies you have to do whatever you can fit it to his approach. I guess too often many of us take for granted that these bands have help or support, but many times they just have themselves to rely on. He obviously had a lot of passion for what he did and he believed strongly in his band and kept pushing to achieve a goal. His stories are well told because he was so enthusiastic about what he was doing. It also just reveals so much about the Herculean efforts that go into getting noticed when you are just one fish in a big sea, but they did it. The film also uses many rare pictures and live audio and video clips as well. There is just so much information in this film about so many aspects of the music, the presentation and everything that went into the development of those aspects. I strongly recommend this movie not just for Over Kill or thrash fans, but for all fans of music because it will give you a greater view into the details, work and creativity that most of us are not aware of.

6 Comments:

Blogger bob_vinyl said...

This sounds like it'd be up my alley. I'm sure it was a lot harder to get noticed in the days before the internet and myspace and I think you're right that most of us have no idea how much effort some of these bands put in just to get a break.

6:22 AM  
Blogger Hard Rock Hideout said...

Interesting. The first thing I noticed was the similarity of the Overkill logo, then I ready your article.

I may have to check this out.

Rob Rockitt
Hard Rock Hideout

9:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just got a copy of this so I should have a review out soon. It's an interesting project according to the press release and it's timed well around the release of Overkill's new album.

Steve
Heavy Metal Addiction

12:05 PM  
Blogger David Amulet said...

Hey Mark: I'm curious about your thoughts on Kevin Dubrow's death. I just did a quick, seat-of-my-pants thoughts post on my site.

-- david

3:13 PM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

bob-I think you would like it.

HRH-I think this is must see for all music fans.

Rhodeislandrock-I'll look forward to your review.

David-I actually had this post up before I heard about Kevin Dubrow, but will be doing a brief post on Tuesday with my thoughts about him.

5:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Job!: )

7:10 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home