Thursday, November 15, 2007

Sebastian Bach-Angel Down

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Sebastian Bach-Angel Down
Mrv
2007


It’s only a matter of weeks until the end of 2007 and many people are already compiling their list of the top albums of this year. Yet there are still a few releases coming out here and this might be one of the most anticipated hard rock albums of the year. The former Skid Row vocalist recorded most of this album way back in the summer of 2006. It’s also his first album in eight years and of course a man who is no stranger to delays, Axl Rose lends his voice to a few tracks on this release. My first reaction to this album is that there is less of an ongoing theme than I imagined. Largely everything is hard rock to metal, but a number of the songs vary in style. Perhaps that has to do with a not having done an album in a while so many different ideas have built up in Mr. Bach’s head over the years. Perhaps this album has indeed benefited from him taking his time on getting this album out. The vocals are as strong as ever and there are several moments where I am reminded of Skid Row’s “Slave to the grind” album. At times it almost seems like 1991 was not all that long go or at least that seems to hold true for Mr. Bach’s vocals. The music is well produced and primarily it’s fairly sharp and cutting. The majority of the tunes lean towards a style that was more prominent between say 1990-1995, but that’s okay by me. Still the songs move along so well that they sound fresh enough to work. No new ground is being broken here, but I don’t think anyone expected that. Sebastian Bach was one of the stronger hard rock singers to emerge during “hair metal’s” big prime in the late 80’s-early 90’s. He had his own patented screeching style and a strong stage presence plus he never really had a bad album. Judging from his new release he doesn’t seem to have lost a step either and it’s little wonder he gets more attention than his former band. Oh and Axl sounds just like you would expect Axl to sound like. Not a barnstormer perhaps, but a good release that will make fans wish he would release albums a bit more frequently.

http://www.myspace.com/sebastianbach

4 Comments:

Blogger Hard Rock Hideout said...

I posted an Ecard where you can hear three tracks right now.

Judging from what I can hear....this is going to be a very good record!

I am still waiting for my copy to come in, but the 3 songs I heard today has me excited to hear the whole disc.



Rob Rockitt
Hard Rock Hideout

12:20 PM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

Rob-It's pretty good. I think I will be listening to it quite a bit over the next few weeks.

12:42 PM  
Blogger Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

And I can tell you from Sebastian's mouth that he is trying to make it so that he "does more albums than t.v. shows." I wasn't so surprised by the strength of Angel Down as I was just happy for the guy. A lot of fun that dude. Shameless plug: I have a review of Angel Down at The Metal Minute as well and the intie with Sebastian for Hails & Horns mag. Sorry to whore myself here, Mark; feel free to plug all you want at TMM :)

4:34 AM  
Blogger DPTH International said...

Sounds good! I love Bach era Skid Row and Slave to the Grind is my favourite album. I'll have to check this out. I've never heard any of Bach's solo work.

10:24 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home