Sunday, May 17, 2009

Top 25 hard rock/metal guitarists

So I finally got around to putting pen to paper and drafted out a top 25 hard rock/metal guitarists list. I even listened to some albums in order to finalize these lists even though these are all guys I have been listening to for years. So now I can begin my countdown at a rate of one per week. There are a couple of pairs on this list, co-workers who have to go in together. I don't expect anyone to agree as all lists on this topic would likely vary to some agree. So let's get on with it.

Number 25 is...
Photobucket

Ace Frehley

The Space Ace was known much more for his literally smoking guitar than for smoking solos. Indeed his playing was basic to an extent yet it came at a time when I think simple straight ahead hard rock was just what the scene needed. He wasn't the fastest or most technical player by any means yet he made it sound and even look fun. How much young aspiring guitarists picked up their instrument thanks to listening to Ace back in his prime? A whole lot I would imagine. Certainly a guitarist who made quite an impact.

Number 24 will be out next week.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you're not going to mention Yngwie are you? haha

5:28 PM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

Sean-You will just have to stop by each week and see if he is or isn't. I sat down and listened to CDs while I went through writing several drafts and finally came up with my final list so now I have to stick with it as I do this countdown.

4:37 AM  
Blogger bob_vinyl said...

I dunno if Ace would make my list, but I like your reasoning. It isn't about who could fly up and down the frets the fastest. It's about sound and often times, less is more.

6:56 PM  
Blogger The Mule said...

Good choice, I think. In terms of influence on fledgling guitarists, it's hard to top Space Ace. Sure, when we were kids we'd laugh at his one-note solos, but learning all those KISS songs was an important first step for our band.

11:21 PM  
Blogger DPTH International said...

Nice choice. You've taken on a daunting task with list, but I look forward to how it pans out.

10:55 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home