Thursday, May 21, 2009

UFO-The Visitor

Photobucket
SPV
2009



It's been a while since I have had an album that has taken me this many spins to really reach a verdict. UFO have been in the business for forty years. Like any band who has been in existence that long they have certainly had their highs and lows. Most of their lows have revolved line-ups changes and in fact there is no Pete Way on this due to his health problems. In 2004"You Are Here" was the first album to feature Michael Schenker’s replacement Vinnie Moore. Those are some awfully large shoes to fill and the band has been trying to progress and re-establish themselves since that point. With "The Visitor" I think it become apparent that Vinnie Moore is indeed a good fit for this band. A large part of that undoubtedly has to do with the fact that he is contributing more to the writing this time around. This is a blues soaked album for the most part with hints of the sounds of UFO's past, but a few stabs to get beyond that as well. Phil Mogg sounds terrific after all these years. His rugged voice has perhaps even more character than ever. This album is definitely a grower and I am glad that I took a few weeks to really go over this entry. Many of the songs are subtle and take time to build up, but they are worth the wait. This is definitely the sound of a band who still has something to give. The album is melodic and catchy as well as being aggressive and tight. It's hard to believe that this band can be so fresh this far into the game, but the album made me believer even if the last few albums hadn't. This one has stayed in my stereo for a while now and I have feeling that I will still be spinning it for months to come.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Nice to see someone keeping the faith. judas priest was supposed to but....

5:46 AM  
Blogger The Ripple Effect said...

Right On, Mark!

6:38 AM  
Anonymous JB said...

Been waiting for your review on this one. Great job as usual. Going to give it some further runs and see. I wasn't that impressed on the first go round, but maybe some time will help. They have been at it for 40 yrs, I guess its the least I can do.

10:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I must say that the only UFO album that I really like is Walk On Water.

5:53 AM  
Blogger Rhodeislandrock said...

Solid record, one of my favorites of the year. UFO has been putting out solid albums since '95's WALK ON WATER and the albums with Vinnie Moore are extremely good. I dig the bluesy sound mixed with a buit of southern style, it all adds to the classic UFO sound with Mogg, Parker and Raymond doing what they do best. This album hasn't left my rotation since I got the advance and I don't see it leaving any time soon.

Steve
Heavy Metal Addiction

9:03 PM  
Anonymous SteveA said...

I was very disappointed at first because it did not sound like past UFO albums. But I kept playing it and it gets better and better. So many great songs.

2:05 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home