Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Underrated and overrated 70's albums

I think I did one of these lists for 80's album so now maybe I'll tackle the 70's. Here are five albums that I overrated at one time and five that I underrated.


Photobucket

Underrated

1-Led Zeppelin-3
This one didn't click with me for years just because it was way more mellow than I was used to. It has grown on me and I glad that it is an album with it's own personality.

2-Rush-Caress of steel
Not everyone's favorite Rush album for sure. Odd around the edges and perhaps that's why it stands out for me.

3-Aerosmith-Get your wings
This one often gets left in the shadows of album like Rocks and Toys in the attic. It's more subtle, but the grooves are solid.

4-TKO-Let it roll
Known more for their 80's output, but this 1979 release was a solid Boston inspired album that didn't work for me in the mid-80's. In recent years I came around.

5-KISS-Hotter than hell
I used to skip past this one for most of their other mid-70's albums. Now I think it's one of their 4-5 best of their long career.

Overrated
1-Deep Purple-Who do we think we are
I always put this in with their fine string of early 70's albums, but really it's a mixed bag.

2-AC/DC-High Voltage (US version)
All their other 70's efforts rock and this one has some fine songs, but some snoozers too.

3-KISS-S/T
I used to like this one just as much as the five albums after it. There is some potential there, but it's clunky too.

4-Alice Cooper-From the inside
I got really into this one for a while mainly just because I liked the concept. Then I realized the songs were not quite as good as the ideas behind them.

5-Judas Priest-Rocka Rolla
Once I saw this one a small step away from Sad wings of destiny and sin after sin. Time and repeated plays has made me realize that the distance is wider than I thought it once was. Their are some sparks here, but it's a long ways from where they would go with their other 1970's efforts.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Magpie said...

I agree about the Caress of Steel. There are some great musical moments on here that sadly suffer from a slightly muddy mix.

Take comfort that you weren't alone--Rush themselves have pretty much disowned the album to varying degrees over the years

3:56 AM  
Blogger bob_vinyl said...

Good call on Zeppelin III. It gets lost, because it's not made up predominantly of rockers, but ti has a lot of color to it. Two of my fav Zep songs are "Out on the Tiles" and "Tangerine."

8:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

under:
1-Led Zeppelin-3
it's still zeppelin...pass

2-Rush-Caress of steel
my #1 by them

3-Aerosmith-Get your wings
fantasic record

4-TKO-Let it roll
never heard, but in your face is pretty good.

5-KISS-Hotter than hell
definitely one of their best

Over
1-Deep Purple-Who do we think we are
beyond perfect strangers, i'm not much of a fan

2-AC/DC-High Voltage (US version)
it's an alright album...it's definitely no pwerage

3-KISS-S/T
they were still figuring it out on this one, fun to listen to, but not very often

4-Alice Cooper-From the inside
my all time #1 cooper album. blows me away every time i hear it

5-Judas Priest-Rocka Rolla
yeah, this one isn't great by any means, but it showed promise. who else was hitting those notes at the time? no one

8:11 AM  
Blogger Heff said...

The track "Strange Ways" ALONE makes Hotter Than Hell a great KISS album.

11:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Caress Of Steel" is like a mini-masterpiece from RUSH, IMO. "Hotter Than Hell" is WOW TIME! Led Zep 3 is... simply... Classic.

Stone

7:47 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home