Friday, October 29, 2010

Omotai-Peace through fear

Photobucket
Self-produced
2010

This EP from Houston's Omotai is a collection of five songs and comes in just over 12 minutes in length. That's a relatively short time, but this band manages to push plenty of ides and sounds into that time period. The style is a combination of post-metal wildness with some heavy grind style barrages, some progressive passages and just a general dose of noise and energy. The first track had adjusting the sound on my stereo because the vocals were very low. I am not sure if that was intentional or not, but it was slightly distracting. The opener as a whole didn't grab. It had some moments, but just as it started to interest me it was over. The rest of the album fares much better because they give you plenty of meat in their sound right from the start. Don't expect a definite focus in the sound though, but just sit back and prepare be bombarded by the quick changing assault that will overtake you. The ideas are intriguing, but you have to really concentrate because the band quickly moved forward to the next idea. My only complaint on the album as a whole was that I felt that the band had the skill and creativity to stretch the songs out even more. I think they and the listeners would benefit from that the next time around. Needless to say I would to see what they could do on a full length effort. My expectations would be high based on what I heard here.



http://www.myspace.com/omotai

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home