Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Obelyskkh-White Lightnin’

Exile On Mainstream
2012


 
It seems like it has been months since I first looked upon this album with a mixture of curiosity and mistrust. Knowing full well that just looking at the album art wouldn't get me anywhere I finally decided to scoop "White Lightnin'" out of our promo section, knock the dust off of it and see what was what. Why did it take so long? Well, just check out that artwork. I can't be the only one who thinks of Pushead am I? Not that it has much to do with this album and the music within. It's just that this album's art brings back fond memories of the work of Pushead and I was very afraid that the album's music wouldn't live up to the artwork. It turns out though that this is the second studio album from Germany's Obelyskkh. The band brought in Billy Anderson (Sleep, Neurosis, Mr. Bungle, Eyehategod, High On Fire, Melvins, etc.) to "capture, mix and master their new work". And that work is what exactly you might be asking? A mixture of sludge and doom. That second part is really nice-DOOM. Doom my friends...blissful doom. Album number two for these Germans is worthy of such album art. Without spending too much of your precious time I'll just skip all the  fancy words or long, drawn-out descriptions that just get in the way of this dark sound. Instead this album is a love letter to all of you that adore sludge and DOOM. Yeah, I do love the doom part of this band in case you couldn't tell! This album is going to feel right at home in my collection as I've started to appreciate the genre more thanks to acts like this that create music, not only for the melancholy, but those of us that love the brute force appeal that these sounds have eardrums.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home